War Risk Cover
DNK offers a comprehensive marine insurance policy against war risks
The basic insurance program offered by DNK covers total loss, damage, collision liability, hull/freight interests, loss of hire, owner's liability (P&I) and occupational injuries caused by war perils. The war risk insurance offered by the Association is covered on the basis of the Nordic Marine Insurance Plan (of 2013).
No gaps in coverage
The Nordic Marine Insurance Plan maintains the traditional division of the range of perils into war risk insurance and marine risk insurance. Due to the fact that the exception for war perils in marine risk insurance relates to the range of perils in war risk insurance, no gaps in cover will occur other than those that follow from explicit provisions.
Unless otherwise agreed, a standard marine insurance based on the Plan covers only marine perils. Therefore, war risk insurance has to be written explicitly.
If the loss has been caused by a combination of marine perils, the whole loss shall be deemed to have been caused by the class of perils which was the dominant cause. If neither of the classes of perils is considered dominant, both shall be deemed to have had equal influence on the occurrence and extent of the loss.
In cl. 2-9 of the Nordic Marine Insurance Plan, war risks are defined as follows:
Cl. 2-9. Perils covered by an insurance against war perils
An insurance against war perils covers:
- war or war-like conditions, including civil war or the use of arms or other implements of war in the course of military exercises in peacetime or in guarding against infringements of neutrality,
- capture at sea, confiscation and other similar interventions by a foreign State power. Foreign State power is understood to mean any State power other than the State power in the ship's State of registration or in the State where the major ownership interests are located, as well as organisations and individuals who unlawfully purport to exercise public or supranational authority. Requisition for ownership or use by a State power shall not be regarded as an intervention,
- riots, sabotage, acts of terrorism or other social, religious or politically motivated use of violence or threats of the use of violence, strikes or lockouts,
- piracy and mutiny,
- measures taken by a State power to avert or limit damage, provided that the risk of such damage is caused by a peril referred to in paragraphs (a) - (d).
The insurance does not cover:
- perils covered by the RACE II clause:
- ionising radiations from or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste or from the combustion of nuclear fuel,
- the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any nuclear installation, reactor or other nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof,
- any weapon or device employing atomic or nuclear fission and/or fusion or other like reaction or radioactive force or matter,
- the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any radioactive matter,
- any chemical, biological, bio-chemical, or electromagnetic weapon.